It’s every gardener’s worst nightmare: squirrels invading your yard and eating up the food you planted. 

There are several methods you can use to keep them out of your yard, but if you have already created an infestation problem, rat poison might be a valid solution. 

However, many people are concerned that rat poison is harmful to more than just rats and mice; one of the most common questions they have is, Does rat poison kill squirrels? 

In this article, we will talk about squirrels, and rat poisons, and whether or not they work on other animals as well.

Does Rat Poison Kill Squirrels?

Rat poison is designed to kill rats, not squirrels. In fact, rat poison is often marketed as squirrel-proof, because it contains bromethalin which has been found to be lethal to both rats and squirrels. 

The problem is that humans are also susceptible to bromethalin poisoning if they ingest the bait. Bromethalin poisoning can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and convulsions. 

And these symptoms could lead to a more serious complication that could kill you if left untreated: liver failure. In 2016, there were 230 cases of death from unintentional exposure to rat poison in Australia alone. 

That’s an average of one death every five days. It’s for this reason that some pest control professionals recommend using multiple methods of rodent control such as traps and exclusion in order to avoid exposure to rodenticides such as rat poisons. 

But it depends on the power of a rat poision. If it is too strong then, chances maybe that it will kill squirrel competely.

How Does Rat Poison Kill Squirrels?

Rat poison is typically used as a preventative measure to protect your home from rodents. When ingested, rat poison works by attacking the central nervous system and killing the rodent in a couple of days. 

However, rat poison does not kill squirrels. Since squirrels are not classified as rodents, they can’t be killed by rat poison. There are many other ways that you could get rid of these animals. 

You may want to try removing the food sources, sealing up any potential entrances or openings into your home with wire mesh or insulation, setting traps, using repellants such as peppermint oil, or contacting pest control services for help. 

If there are too many squirrels around and getting rid of them proves difficult, it’s recommended that you hire an animal trapper to deal with the problem. 

It’s also important to remember never handle a dead squirrel without gloves because their droppings can carry rabies which is deadly if contracted.


Can You Use Rat Poison to Kill Squirrels?

Rat poison is designed to kill rats, and while it may not be the best idea to use rat poison to kill squirrels, a lot of people have reported success. 

There are a few downsides to using rat poison as an alternate method for killing squirrels, however. 

First of all, if you’re using rat poison in your home or yard, you need to make sure that there are no children or pets around who could accidentally ingest it. 

Second of course, is the fact that it’s illegal in many areas of the country. 

Thirdly, there’s always the danger that the poisoned squirrel will wander away from your property and possibly die somewhere else where it can cause harm or attract other animals. 

For these reasons, it’s generally recommended to call a professional pest control company if you’re trying to get rid of squirrels.

Is Rat Poison Bad for the Environment?

Rat poison does not have a significant impact on the environment. The active ingredients in rat poisons are either zinc phosphide or warfarin, and these ingredients will degrade fairly quickly. 

Warfarin is naturally occurring in plants and zinc phosphide is a substance that occurs naturally in the environment. The main issue with rat poison is that it poses an environmental risk to pet cats and dogs when they eat rats who have been poisoned by rat poison. 

Other than that, there are no significant environmental risks associated with using rat poison to kill rodents. 

One thing you may want to consider before choosing a rodent control method is whether the method can be used effectively without posing any serious risks to people or animals living in the area where you will apply it.


What Else is Poisonous to Squirrels?

There are a few different things that can kill squirrels, but the most effective one is rat poison. Even if you don’t have rats in your home, it’s possible for a squirrel to eat the bait in the middle of the night while they’re out gathering food. 

There are also a variety of other poisons that can be harmful to squirrels, such as antifreeze, weed killer and some types of insecticides. 

If you need to get rid of squirrels in your home or yard and don’t want them to die from rat poison, you’ll need to take care of them yourself by trapping them in live traps and releasing them far away from your property. 

In this case, there are several ways that you could end up killing them. Whether you put out rat poison, use antifreeze on the ground, use pesticides or any number of other chemical substances that are used to kill pests on your property, it’s not difficult for a squirrel to ingest these toxins.


They may walk through a puddle and get sprayed with liquid chemical substances without realizing it; they may even consume poisoned scraps left behind by pets or humans who didn’t bother cleaning up after themselves. 

The bottom line is: no matter what kind of method you choose to trap these creatures, chances are high that the squirrel will die once you release him back into his natural habitat.

Can Rat Poison Harm Pets?

It is possible for rat poison to harm pets, but it is unlikely. The rodenticide works by interfering with the body’s ability to produce certain proteins and can lead to death if eaten in large enough quantities over a short period of time. 

As long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions on where and how much bait to use, your pet should be safe. 

If you’re still concerned about whether or not the risk is too high, consider that a squirrel might have trouble swallowing the bait because of its size. 

In addition, most manufacturers recommend baiting outdoors near food sources for rodents such as chicken feed or fruit trees.

If an animal gets into something that has been poisoned indoors, it will likely die before ingesting enough to cause any harmful effects.

Read More About Do Frogs Eat Snails?


Rat poison can kill squirrels, but only if they consume it. One of the most common types of rat poisons is anti-coagulants. 

Anti-coagulant rat poisons work by preventing the blood from clotting, and so when a small cut occurs on a rodent’s paw or nose, they bleed to death.

In order for this type of rat poison to kill a squirrel, they would need to consume it in large quantities over time.

It’s actually not that uncommon for squirrels and rats to eat each other when living in close proximity to one another; and as such, these animals often carry around traces of the rodenticide in their systems even though they are not being directly killed by it.

Website | + posts

Meet Tomas Clayton, a seasoned plant gardener who has been passionate about horticulture since he was a child. Tomas John developed a love for the natural world and a strong appreciation for the beauty of plants while growing up on a farm.

Similar Posts

One Comment

  1. Pingback: Do Mice Eat Slugs?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *